Sunday, October 7, 2012

My "Wannabe Artist" Journal

I crave creativity.

Nothing makes me feel more alive than when I'm making something.  I think that comes from being created in His image. He's the Master Artist, Storyteller, Musician, Poet, etc...

But the mundane of life can suck that creative desire quickly. It did for me.

Lately, I have been trying to bloom where I'm planted.  I don't have to wait to be creative.  Maybe the big things will have to wait until I'm more free, but there are little ways to work creativity into the everyday and to let those moments of creativity be acts of worship.  

One thing I'm trying is a visual journal or an art journal.  I stumbled on one on Pinterest and fell in love.  (Click here to see what's inspiring me.)

Living inside of me is a wannabe artist, but I don't let her out much because I also have an internal jailer named Perfectionism who kicks her down all the time and reminds her often that she isn't a real artist because she isn't good enough so she might as well not even bother coming out to play.

(I hope you aren't worried about my multiple personality disorder at this point) : )

The concept of an art journal was a perfect way to set her free.  She can play and practice and make mistakes and it doesn't matter because it isn't supposed to be perfect.  It's supposed to be messy and experimental by design.  I had so much fun making my first page:


I made lots of mistakes but just painted over them.  I have a lot to learn about technique and tools and materials...but that is Perfectionism telling me I can't try until I have the "right" stuff.

Is there a wannabe someone living inside of you that wants to be let out?


3 comments:

Hilty Sprouts said...

I know exactly how you feel! I love that Kurt Vonnegut quote.

Anonymous said...

I don't relate, because I'm not an artist. I like to copy artists, and am happy if I can just make something as beautiful as the picture that someone like you created. Keep it up! People like me really need people like you! Or else life would be neat, tidy, and plain. Sigh. . . . .

Abhi said...

This blog in very informative for us